Monday, June 30, 2014

Cleaning Oxidized and Moldy Aluminum Window Frames

I've been meaning to clean the window frames in my bedroom since August of 2012. Shame on me. They are aluminum and covered in white crud (oxidized) spots and mold. Now that I am getting around to painting the bedroom in the near future, I was determined to take care of as many details as possible, and this really needed to be done.



I was cleaning out my laundry room (part of the total house overhaul) and realized that I had an S.O.S. pad in there. I figured it was worth a shot because it is course and might scrape of some of the crud and mold on the aluminum. I had no clue it would take off all of it! I didn't even have to wet the S.O.S. pad! I was like "Holy Wow!" I accomplished this with just a few swipes.




I have a lot more of the frames that need this treatment, but this discovery needed to be shared with the world.

So if you have aluminum window frames, just go out and get yourself some S.O.S. pads and just wipe off the nasty stuff.

It's seriously that easy.


5 comments:

  1. I wish I'd known this decades ago! Luckily/unluckily I can still use the information. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Follow up: this is brilliant! I wish it worked better on old paint, but I'll take what I can get. ;)
    Anyway, I'm going to put car wax on the cleaned aluminum, in hopes that I never have to clean them again. I think it'll work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Has anyone cleaned these types of windows with sliding frames? They’re a doozy to get between

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just done one small window 900mm x 900mm with soap pads. I lifted out the sliding half. It made it easier. It has come up better than I thought it might, but it has taken a lot of elbow grease and a few pads and several hours. Still not perfect. I don't know how long it will last.

    ReplyDelete